Instagram Social Media
Launched in 2010 and acquired by Facebook in 2012, Instagram has taken the mobile photo-sharing niche by storm, with no signs of slowing down soon.
Instagram has now doubled its user base to 700 million monthly users within two years. Fuelled by Stories, web signups and better onboarding on low-end Android phones. Instagram’s growth rate is actually speeding up. It took four months to add the last 100 million users since hitting 600 million in December, while it took six months to go from 500 million to 600 million.
- October 6, 2010 – Launched
- February 26, 2013 – 100 million; 28 months
- March 25, 2014 – 200 million; 13 months
- December 10, 2014 – 300 million; 9 months
- September 22, 2015 – 400 million; 9 months
- June 21, 2016 – 500 million; 9 months
- December 15, 2016 – 600 million; 6 months
- April 26, 2017 – 700 million; 4 months
Thinking about using Instagram to market your business? Want to become Instagram famous? Here are the coolest, most surprising Instagram statistics and facts to know for this year. Using Instagram as part of your social media strategy and monitoring CTR and ROI is the smartest decision you can make. Remember this is one fraction of the tactical marketing strategy you should be using.
Instagram Demographic Statistics
- 80% of Instagram users are outside of the US.
- Most Instagram users are between 18-29 years old.
- Six in ten online adults have Instagram accounts.
- Female internet users are more likely to use Instagram than men, at 38% vs. 26%.
- 32% of teenagers consider Instagram to be the most important social network.
- 32% of Instagram users attended college.
- 26% of Instagram users make more than $75,000 per year.
Instagram Usage Statistics
After Instagram itself, Selena Gomez has the most followers with 120 million. Ariana Grande has 105 million, Taylor Swift has 102 million, Cristiano Ronaldo has 101 million and National Geographic has 77.4 million.
Beyonce holds the record for the most liked Instagram with her pregnancy announcement which garnered almost 11 million likes.
Most Liked Instagram Post
- There are over 700 million Instagrammers.
- Of that 700 million, over 400 million are active every day.
- There are 16,600,000 Google searches for “instagram” per month.
- There are 165,000 searches per month for “kylie jenner instagram”
- 51% of Instagram users access the platform daily, and 35% say they look at the platform several times per day.
- 95 million photos and videos are shared on Instagram per day.
- Over 40 billion photos and videos have been shared on the Instagram platform since its conception.
Instagram Business Statistics
- There are 8 million registered businesses using Instagram business profiles.
- Instagram has 1 million monthly active advertisers—up from just 200,000 in March 2016.
60% of the top brands on Instagram use the same filter for every post.
- In March 2017, over 120 million Instagrammers visited a website, got directions, called, emailed, or direct messaged to learn about a business based on an Instagram ad.
- Instagram is estimated to have brought in $1.53 billion in global mobile ad revenue in 2016, which is a 144 percent increase year-over-year and would amount to 8.4 percent of Facebook’s global mobile ad revenue according to International Business Times.
- eMarketer projects that Instagram’s global mobile ad revenues will reach $2.81 billion this year, accounting for over 10 percent of parent company Facebook’s global ad revenues.
- This year, 70.7% of U.S. companies will use Instagram for marketing, edging out Twitter for the first time.
- 50% of Instagram users follow at least one business.
- 60% of users say that they have learned about a product or service on the platform.
Instagram Content Statistics
- 100 million users use the “stories” feature daily.
- Instagram posts with at least one hashtag average 12.6% more engagement than those without.
- The best time to post on Instagram for the most engagement is at 5pm on Wednesdays.
- As of December 2016, there were over 282 million selfies on Instagram.
- The most used emoji is the heart ❤
- 23.4% of Instagrammers report having been cyberbullied on the platform.
- Pizza is the most widely Instagrammed food, directly ahead of steak and sushi.
- The most popular filters are Clarendon, Gingham and Juno/Lark.
With all the above numbers, we have to keep in mind that Instagram is still on the rise and growing in many aspects. Brand adoption can pick up speed as Instagram gets even more popular and word gets around about brand’s success stories. There is still a lot of room for marketing success on Instagram. Best practices and case studies will make the headlines, and more brands will adopt them. Bloggers and Influencers have already found many ways to market their blog on Instagram – and more will follow.
If you know any important Instagram statistics we have missed – we would love to know? Email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.